Frequently asked questions
The most common questions we get from our clients
Women may wear as little or as much as they would like. This includes being in the nude, wear bottoms or wearing a top and bottom. Some clients prefer the look of tan lines, while others do not like to have tan lines. Be aware that the thickness and pattern of your underwear line or bra strap will be what your tan line will look like. Men need to wear bottoms of some sort. This includes but is not limited to: underwear, swimsuit, thong or a sock if you prefer to have no tan lines. We also provide design stickers at no cost if you would like to see the difference between your pre and post tan color.
Absolutely not. We color match each and every time to ensure that you get nothing but natural, beautiful results. Things that may cause you to turn orange are using poor quality solution, getting sprayed with a solution that is too dark for your skin tone or wearing it longer than your professional recommends you wearing it for, or not preparing your skin before your appointment. Also, women that are pregnant, taking medication (birth control included), and those that are menstruating might take lighter or darker than normal due to changes in hormones.
Great question! This is honestly the most important part. Your spray tan consists of 50% how you prepare for it and 50% your technician. That means that even if your technician does everything right, if your skin isn’t properly exfoliated or if you used soap that leaves a residue before your appointment then your tan might not reach its best potential. To prep for your appointment this is what I recommend:
2-3 days before
- Make sure to do all waxing, massages, and mani/pedis. Massage oils and waxing will strip your tan completely.
- Do a good exfoliation all over your body, especially if you have leftover tan on or if you got a massage. Some products leave residue for a day or so.
1 day before
- Make sure to shave if you normally shave.
- Do another full body exfoliation and make sure all leftover tan is off. Leftover tan will create a barrier and will give a patchy look if not completely exfoliated off.
- Do NOT use Bath and Body Works, Olay or Dove. This will leave product residue on your skin.
Day of your appointment
- Be sure that you are wearing no oils, perfumes, lotion or deodorant. This will create a barrier on your skin and the tan may not process in those areas. We provide wipes in studio at no cost if you are coming from work.
- Be sure to wear loose, dark clothing to your appointment. Clothing such as a black sundress, a romper, pajamas or a loose fitted jumpsuit are all great choices. We highly recommend wearing slip on sandals or flip flops. Sneakers, socks, leggings, jeans and sports bras will all leave indentation and may streak your tan if you leave in those items.
Aftercare is everything! In order to get the full life out of your tan, here are some tips and tricks to help you care for it.
- Be sure to wait the full time before rinsing, if you do a classic tan it will be between 8-12 hours, and if you do rapid tan it will be 2-5 hours depending on how dark you’d like to be. Avoid getting wet after getting sprayed. No dishes, bath time or laundry as this will cause streaking if water drips down your arm. Also, be careful in the rain, as this will cause spotting if you get wet after being sprayed. All solutions process over the next 12-24 hours post rinse. Be aware that during your first shower you will notice bronzer rinsing off, this is totally normal and is just the bronzer (aka my color guard) that is rinsing off. Your beautiful tan is right under it.
- Moisturize! Your tan needs to stay hydrated in and out (drink water and apply lotion) in order for your tan to get the full life and fade nicely. Nobody likes a crackly looking tan. We have Body Lotion + Tan Extender available for purchase in studio in travel size and full size if needed. Be sure to avoid using any products by Dove, Olay and Bath and Body Works. These products will remove your tan and even streak it due to the high alcohol content, artificial colors/fragrance and parabens/sulfates that are in it.
- Do not exfoliate or use any abrasive scrubs once you have your tan. Exfoliate only when you are ready to remove your tan or if you have build up in certain spots. (Chest area is most common from working out)
- Take a warm or cool shower, hot water is not your spray tans bestie. Be sure to use a spray tan safe body wash in the shower. We sell body wash in studio in travel and full sizes. Make sure to pat dry with your towel instead of rubbing.
- Avoid working out for 24 hours unless directed otherwise by your professional at A Spray of Sunshine. All solutions are different so be sure to ask before doing just to be sure!
- If you need to shave, be sure to shave in a downward motion to avoid exfoliating your tan. It might take a little longer, but it gets the job done and saves your tan. Win win! Be sure to use your spray tan safe body wash while shaving as well.
Yes, you can. However, salt, chlorine and other pool/jacuzzi chemicals will cause your tan to prematurely fade. I like to tell my clients to rinse in the shower before going in the ocean, lake or pool. Also, once you are done swimming then be sure to rinse off as well and moisturize with lotion right after. This helps it not fade as fast or noticeably.
With proper care you should get 5-7 days of color from your tan!
All tans done at A Spray of Sunshine are done by hand with our HVLP system, no booth tans here!
Awesome question! We definitely recommend our products simply due to the fact that we know that is in our products. We stand behind our line and can guarantee that it will not harm your tan. If you purchase products that are not made for spray tans then we cannot guarantee those products. Some of our store-bought choices are: Hempz, Burts Bee, Aveeno Baby Wash, and Dr. Bronners. For sunscreen we also recommend choosing a SunBum, Alba Botanicals and Coola. They smell great, work great on top of a tan and most importantly, they are also reef-safe! #savethereef
Yes! If you choose our 8-12 hour solution you absolutely can. If you are a rapid tanner, be sure to ask your A Spray of Sunshine professional before doing so. Sleeping in rapid tan for too long will give unnatural results. If you touch your body or face in your sleep then be sure to wear a pair of loose fitted mitts or socks on your hands to avoid a tan palm or lines on your hand/body.